Hello, hello!
... again apologies for the form email but there is news I must share! I have negotiated and am here until June 30th 2008. A whole ski season and the start of summer. I have bought a season's pass to Sunshine Village, enrolled in French classes, cooking classes, bought "the Good Food Guide to Calgary" and joined a gym! I have settled in!
Work is very hectic but fabulously interesting. Spending way too much time in Fort McMurray. Attached is a photo of the Fort Mc sunrise -over the tailings dam. The scarecrow like figure in the left foreground is a 'Bituman" - the same purpose as a scarecrow - to stop the birds landing on the pond - which is a bitumen impregnated water (think oil-slick penguin). They also let off shot to scare away the birds. Just next to the camp - I am told you get used to the periodic boom as you are trying to sleep.
All visitors are welcome. Some of the best skiing on the Earth is an hour's drive away! They are forecasting an early start to the season- mid November. This year I skied into May! Sadly, I will not be home in November - just a brief visit at Christmas. At this stage, I am not sure when I will be home next year - may have to miss the wedding Tam and Vince ...
To all you sailors, have a great season, I will be thinking of you -as I swoosh down the slopes! Nothing compares, however, to the Wednesday evening sails for blowing away the cobwebs.
Love Kate. xxx

No comments:
Post a Comment