Wednesday, September 8, 2010

19 Feburary 2007




It is a holiday here, in true Canadian fashion - Family Day! So thought I would zip out a few emails. Have been rather slack but very busy doing stuff!



Saturdays involve skiing. It is just fabulous. The snow is sensational and Sunshine resort is so huge you hardly ski the same run twice in a day. Do have a few favourites - and my skiing is improving. Meet a chap on the chairlift who is a skier just a bit better than me and now ski with him.



He is an Iranian engineer who works for one of our competitors (trustme!) named Babak (pronounced Bob back). We bought ice-skates and wentskating on a lake. Hysterical because I cannot skate and there are no 'sides' and thus nothing to grab. Sadly, the Chinooks have come inthe the temperature has jumped up to above zero. The snow is melting and the ice is getting sloshy - it will be cold again next week so will return to skating then!!



Actually went running yesterday for the first time - and without gloves and a beanie. Managed about 2km before we got distracted byCanadian Geese and river scenery! But will run again tonight.



My apartment is fabulous, CBD fringe (or downtown) with great views over the city and I can actually see the mountains which is very exciting! I have attached a few snaps. It is about a 15 minute walkto work - sounds great but when it is -15 degrees, it can be veryc hilly. They have a Plus 15 system here which is a series of walkways between buildings (like the ones at Myers) so you can get around most of Downtown without going outside. If it is really cold, I use the Plus 15 which means I am only in the cold for about 10 minutes - makesa huge difference.



Planning to go ice-fishing in next couple of weeks!! Bought a book,was given a rod so fill up that hip flask and off we go. I have cometo understand it is more about the drinking than the actual fishing unless you are really serious. I am going to Fort McMurray tomorrow which is north about 900km. They, too, are having a warm spell this week so we do not have to cope with -35 degrees temperatures - more a balmy -15 degrees. We are doing inductions and having a series of meeting - Fort Mc is where the actual work is.



Trust all is well at home. I am should be home Sat 10th March for the night then weekend of 17/18 March. I have to attend a conference on the Gold Coast. I will keep you posted on itinerary.
Kate xxx

No comments: