Thursday, September 9, 2010

A big week of new places - 6 May 2007



Hi all,
Had a rather big week of firsts. Last week I had to go to Sarnia forwork so flew into Toronto and drove. When we discovered Detroit wasonly an hour away, we went there for dinner. A small challenge at the border as we did not have a street address of the location we werestaying n the US - lesson learned, know the street address of the restaurant you are going to, and it helps also to know which restaurant too!



Sarnia is a great little town on the border, St Clair River and LakeHuron (one of the great ones!). The trip was worthwhile and we drove back to Toronto via Niagara Falls. Pretty impressive. The water thunders over the edge and you can stand right at the top of the Falls. The spray, the rainbow, the noise. We ate dinner at a restaurant overlooking the Falls which are lit at night and just to add to the romance of the whole thing, we had the full moon rise ...great story to take home to the wives!



Yesterday I went to the Nanton Lancaster Museum. For those not family, my grandfather was a Lancaster navigator and trained in Canada during the war. Clamboured over one - scary, not much to them, what brave, brave men. Onto Head-smashed-in Buffalo Jump which is one of the best preserved buffalo jumps. The indians did not have horses or guns so they drovethe buffalo over the cliffs and finished them off with arrows andstones. The name comes from one young brave who decided to watch from the bottom of the cliff. So many buffalo 'jumped' he was eventually crushed against the cliff and was found with his head smashed in. We saw prarie dogs and a gopher.



Bob caught a trout in a river somewhere, I missed the whole adventureas I was reading my book! I am learning how to fly fish in a couple of weeks so am a spectator until then! On the drive home (me with map ensured dirt roads through the mountains!) I live in hope of seeing a bear, sadly did not but saw beavers, moose, badger and deer.



Off to New York on Wednesday to meet Leonie - all very exciting.
Looking forward to getting home and seeing everyone.Love Kate. xx

No comments: