I was back the next day to attend Ground School. After 4 hours of instruction, practice and details of EVERYTHING that can go wrong, I was feeling somewhat delicate and on the verge of vomiting with apprehension. This was compounded by the “sign your legal rights away” waivers we were required to fill out – one which resonated over and over….”skydiving is of no benefit to society, the only reason for doing this is for your own gratification” Finally, at the end of the class, I made the call. I cannot do this.
As the time in the wind tunnel was paid for, I decided to go ahead with that but my application to the American Parachuter’s Association was withdrawn and my first Advanced Free Fall (AFF) jump was cancelled. Instructors, administrators, husbands and daughters were all very understanding.
Off to the wind tunnel. We had 10 minutes, on 5 two minute rotations and oh what a hoot. Free fall sans terror! What fun. I had done the tandem, actually leapt from a fully functioning plane at 13 000 feet and had 10 minutes of simulated free fall experience. I could talk the talk and happily sent Brianna and Sean up in the plane to do their AFF Level 1 jump.
The eyes on our Lovely when she landed were filled with excitement and delight. She has found her sport. Even before her chute was packed, she was scheming how to fund her next jump. Sean was back in a world he knew and loved…. and I was able to understand it and be part of it all. A happy girl.
Next morning, we dropped Brianna off at the airport to get back to school and Sean and I headed off to the Grand Canyon! Quite the drive but how very spectacular. And deserving of a dedicated post – so read on with anticipation..…
During this long drive I was running through the AFF Level 1 drills. Check left, check right, out, in, look up, arch, one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand, altimeter, instructor, practice pull one, practice pull two, practice pull three, altimeter, instructor, straighten legs, one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand, altimeter, instructor, lock on at 6 500, wave, pull at 5 500, canopy open (god I hope), vaguely relax, muster at diagonal road at 1000 feet, 90 degrees right then to 500 feet, 90 degrees right to 300 feet, 90 degrees right , final approach, top of buildings, full flare, land, land, safe, not dead, huge relief…..
.. I can do this! My dear friend Judie has accused me of challenging her to do things way beyond her comfort zone – study an MBA, do a reading at my wedding – terrified and completely unarmed, she has done it. Here I am, way, way beyond my comfort zone, but hearing Jude “If I can get an MBA, you can jump from a bloody plane...”
Next day we are back at the jump zone. I am cool as a cucumber. The jump school is delighted we are back. Joe, our instructor, and I chat sailing whilst Sean is arranging hire gear and we wait for our lift. A few practice exits with Pat and Joe and we are in the plane. Slap, knuckle all the other jumpers for good luck. 10 000ft, the French stunt team bail out, 12 000ft the relative guys jump, 13 000ft I find myself in the doorway with Joe and Pat… Check left, check right, out, in, look up, arch, one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand, altimeter, instructor, practice pull one, practice pull two, practice pull three, altimeter, instructor, straighten legs, one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand, altimeter, instructor, lock on at 6 500, wave, pull at 5 500, chute opens woo hoo!! Dangling off a harness, cruising through the sky, toggle left, toggle right. The silence, the freedom! Pat radios – full flare if you can hear me. He talks me down, I land, just off the grass, soft, my chute collapses behind me. I bundle it up, remove my helmet and goggles and ohmigod, I just jumped from a plane at 13 000 feet!
Let’s do it again! Level two…Check right, out, in, look up, arch, one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand, altimeter, instructor, practice pull one, practice pull two, practice pull three, altimeter, instructor, turn 90 degrees left, turn 90 degrees right, altimeter, instructor, lock on at 6 500, wave, pull at 5 500, canopy open …. Okay, I fail on all the drills except PULL!!
Canopy open, cruise on in, this time landing on the green grass. Pat is generous and passes me despite me failing all the drills but pull – then I remember my training, the most important thing in a skydive is to pull. Nothing else really matters. I am VERY good at pulling!
So I am the veteran of a tandem jump, with 60 seconds free fall, and two AFF jumps with 60 seconds free fall and 10 minutes in the wind tunnel – equating to 13 minutes of free fall. Back in the old days, it would have taken 50 jumps to rack up such a record!
What a buzz, what a pastime! I cannot imagine it ever being a primary sport but I can happily say I have done it – not just the ride but TWO free fall solo jumps. Hey Jude, are you proud?

No comments:
Post a Comment