Way back when Brianna was a wee little girl, she saw pictures of her dad skydiving and asked if he would take her. Sean replied that she had to be 18 before she could jump. Fast forward about 12 years and I find myself at 13 000ft strapped to a burly bloke about to leap from the plane. How did this happen??
We arranged skydiving in Phoenix for Brianna's 18th. As she was required to do a tandem jump before the first jump course (and Sean does not need to do a tandem as he is licensed) I was somehow talked into joining her. I have never had a desire to skydive. In fact, I cannot think of a sport I thought I was less likely to try. But my logic on the tandem was I would not have to think. There would be no actions or thoughts required, I could scream all the way down and still land safely - other than perhaps some occupational hearing loss for my instructor.
We were subjected to a hard sell on video and photos and were shown a short video that was basically a marketing exercise and a legal lecture. We signed and initialed a 6 page waiver effectively giving up all our legal rights along with those of our heirs. Sam, my instructor, harnessed me up and gave me a couple of instructions - feet together, arch your back and hold the straps of the harness. Brianna was as cool as a cucumber!
We boarded the plane, three tandem jumpers, a videographer and a French stunt team. We took off and started climbing. By the time we reached 13 000ft, there were only the tandems left. I was comforted to see Brianna had a look of vague terror which was exactly how I felt. Sam clipped us together and we slid along the bench. I was standing at the door of the plane and next thing we were falling upside down towards the Earth!
Nothing can prepare you for free fall. Windy, loud, pressure on the ears (remember to breath), cheek wobbles, the neat fields getting closer and closer - I do not recall actual enjoyment, sheer terror would be more apt. 60 seconds and 8000 ft of free fall then whoosh, the chute opens, the wind disappears and it all become silent. We played with the clouds, did some spiral turns, enjoyed the 360 degree views all under a colourful canopy. We came into land with an elegant bottom slide and it was all over!
I cannot say I have been skydiving, instead, should be described as one amazing ride. We were given very little information about the jump and how the chutes work and I think that made it much more scary. So tomorrow, back I go to do the 6 hour First Jump Course and jump out of a plane all by myself. Then I will be able to say I have been skydiving!

No comments:
Post a Comment