Friday, October 24, 2008

A world without brands

It is an odd thing to live in a world without brands – or more correctly - brand recognition. Obviously, Canada has all the global brands but many of the local brands mean absolutely nothing to me. In some ways it is very liberating, buying based on price or packaging or whatever takes my fancy at the time without the perceived differentiation in quality. It can also be daunting - faced with shelf upon shelf of washing detergent and having no idea on what to base your selection.

Supermarket shopping takes much longer due to the requirement to read the package. Branding provides a convenience. You can grab a packet off the shelf and know exactly what you are getting. Because I was not initially swayed by big advertising budgets, my brand of choice tends to be Co-Op home brand….and I am sure my clothes are just as clean as when I used Omo!

No comments: