Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Nova Scotia

Showing my ignorance of our Commonwealth sister’s history, I was surprised to find out that Nova Scotia means New Scotland in Latin. I was also surprised to discover that I could buy a kilt from a choice of four stores in the tiny fishing village of Pictou that does not even sport a major supermarket. In the harbour, a replica of The Hector floats proudly. The Hector was the tiny sailing ship aboard which arrived the first couple of hundred Scots fleeing religious persecution. That started the influx of over 150 000 Scots over the next few decades – no wonder I can buy a kilt there!

The landscape was straight off the poster on the dentist’s wall when we were kids – the autumn leaves out in fiery reds, oranges and yellows. Thanksgiving is the perfect time to visit Nova Scotia! (The Canadian Thanksgiving is earlier than the American because the growing season is shorter. By the end of November, most of Canada is generally under snow!)


No comments: