Tuesday, December 29, 2009

... and 18.4km later

Be warned when Gord says "hey, let's go for a cross-country ski." The warning bells should have rung loudly:

1) Gord is one of the fittest people I know
2) xc skiing is one of Gord's primary sports
3) I have not been near a xc ski for 20 years....

The alarm bells failed me and off we went to Kananaskis. The trails were well groomed the vistas superb and the day perfectly sunny. I managed quite nicely, with minimum skill and no style until we hit the big, black, bending downhill. The technique is a little different than on downhill skis and despite my very best attempt at a snowplow, I determined it prudent to hit the snow rather than the looming tree.

Pride a little bruised but otherwise okay, we skied the final 6km and I have never been so pleased to see a carpark! Suprised to find all limbs functioning this morning, with only some minor discomfort - think we will do it again on Thursday!

No comments: